Apr 4, 2017

Travelingmanjoe Retro: 167th and Morningside


January 5, 2007:

Had told everyone at the family Christmas party I was moving to New York City. Had been back in the US for less than a month. Nevermind I had no accommodation, no job, and no close friends in New York City.

Party had been over for a few days. Staring at the computer screen a one way ticket from DEN to JFK was staring back at me. Joe, you told everyone you're doing this.

Clicked the button.

Was the fifth time I'd bought a plane ticket and traveled to a place I'd never been before. For some reason Asia had always been easier. Guess that was because I'd had a job when those aeronautical wheels had touched down on foreign soil.

Well, the Philippines were a different story. But that story sits sheathed in the machete that sits by my bedroom door prepared for another freshman December.

Enough about the hostage incident.

Even MNL was better than JFK. But soon bags were in the trunk of a NYC taxi driving past the Empire State Building.

The next two weeks at the Chelsea International Youth Hostel were a blur.

A flaky aunt.
Craigslist apartment interviews.
A Wii bowling match that got me into 8D.

Still needed a job... Struggled, till the roommate and new friend put in a good word at Sloan.

Just enough income to pay the bills.
Just enough Joe to make the friends.
Just enough life to reconnected the old-friends.

Close to a year in The City.

Then as the balloons floated down Central Park West I looked from above.
I'd visit again, but never be back.

NYC, USA

No comments: