Jun 29, 2013

Cairo Power Outage: 6/4/2013

Since revolution in Egypt, tourism has taken a serious dive. This in my opinion is the exact reason why you should visit Egypt now. Prices are low, people will fight for your business, and everyone is very intent on making a good impression. 

During my stay, one evening the power went out. Personally I enjoy taking pictures in very low light. Part of it is the skill of getting a point and shoot camera capture an image in low light, but most of it is the subtle colors that only a camera can catch. Whenever I look at shots I have taken at night,  the camera always catches something my eye missed. 

When the power went out, I went to a local cafe next to my hostel to smoke hookah. The cafe had a generator powering a few lights inside, which is where the light in the picture comes from. My favorite part of this picture is the red glow from the hookahs charcoal. 
The detail in this picture is much harder to make out, because there is so little light. Its actually the picture of a stairwells broken glass skylight. The yellowed light you see in the picture is from Cairo's city lights refracting off of the clouds.
Cairo, Egypt

No comments: