May 16, 2013

Honda Sonic

There's something about a 125cc engine that's strapped to what is essentially a bicycle frame. It really makes you feel like a kid again. While this bike was far more refined than other 125cc bikes I have ridden, getting off quick from a red light, trying to ride up a steep hill, and breaking the 75 mph barrier all took a deep understanding of what this bike had to offer.

The position of your body and when you shifted all determined how far the Sonic would let you take it. While there were times I wanted more power, this bike forced me to slow down and enjoy what I was riding through.

Then there was the reliability. The kick starter ensured you could always get the bike going. The tiny engine sipped gasoline when it was miles from any fuel stop. Having a small liquid cooled engine meant that in spite of the 100 degree tropical temperatures I was riding in, the bike was not going to overheat. And the bikes light weight meant it would always make it to the top of a dis-repaired dirt road.

While I would not go back to riding a 125cc bike again full time, it was great to get back to my roots deep in Northern Thailand.

No comments: