Mar 3, 2010

4-Star General


For about a week I had heard that the Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James Conway, would be visiting Okinawa. Why did this matter? Well because the 4 Star General of the Marine Corps could be likened to the CEO of a company who also happened to command an army. Not just any armed force mind you. This man commands what could be considered one of the most extreme and charismatic of all the US forces. Furthermore due to his obligations in Washington, General James Conway rarely comes to Okinawa. However since this year was the 65th anniversary of the battle of Iwojima, he had come to Japan for a special ceremony to commemorate the Marines success at the Battle of Iwojima.


Being a bit of a fixture on base, over the course of the week I had gotten enough information out of people to know that the Commandant would be arriving around 14:00 on Tuesday and was planned to do a speech in the Bases movie theater. Having no idea whether or not I would be allowed inside the theater, I began the short walk from my office to the bases movie theater.


Having been to events similar to this in the civilian world, I was quite surprised by the lack of security. There was no parameter around the movie theater or metal detectors. In fact the only resistance I encountered was from some Japanese security guards who asked me, "Excuse me, what are you looking for." Being a veteran of getting into places I was not supposed to be, without breaking stride I replied, "I am here to see the Commandant" and continued into the theater meeting no further resistance.

Mind you I was now sitting in theater filled with uniformed Marines. There was not another person in civilian attire in the entire theater aside from myself. As we waited for General James Conway to arrive, the Commander of the Base warned the Marines, "That no one was to asked to be promoted, even as a joke." and "That all questions should be related to current political concerning the Marine Corps."

Then without warning everyone was told to stand at attention and the Commandant himself quickly walked in from the back of the theater telling everyone to stand at ease as he made his way to the stage.

General James Conway spoke for about a half an hour and touched on how he sees the Marines likely being in Afghanistan for another 4 to 5 years and how the Marines efforts in Iraq will soon be coming to an end. He also touched on the Military's, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, after it was brought up as a question by a Marine.

Interestingly he put two questions to the audience. The first was whether the Marines present would feel comfortable serving next to Marine whom they knew to be gay. By a vote of hands only one young women said she would feel comfortable serving alongside a Marine she knew to be gay. The second question General James Conway asked was whether the Marines present would be comfortable sharing a barrack with a gay Marine. Not surprisingly every hand in the audience, accept that of the woman's, voted no. (A bit of background: Single Enlisted Marines in Okinawa live two to a room, while other US armed services usually have their service members living one per room.)

Now where did these pictures come from? Well when the Commandant finished his speech he was quickly led out the side door of the movie theater. Everyone stood up to leave, but the Commander of Kinser told everyone to sit down and wait. But... Since I was in civilian clothes no one knew what to do with me. So I was able to slip out of the theater.

Hearing the helicopters that had brought the 4-Star General into Camp Kinser and knowing General James Conway was on his way there, I began walking down towards the noise. Before long I was standing across the street wondering, should I cross the street and try and get a picture with the General himself. That moment of hesitation was just enough and the helicopters were off.

While I do regret not going for it, I like my job and having pushed it rather far, maybe its for the best that I let this little stunt end there.

No comments: