Feb 20, 2010

Next

Have you ever had someone tell you that you are, "Living the Dream"?

When someone tells me that, I wonder if they truly know what they are saying. Its true that the snapshot of my life may look like some sort of fantasy. However, what does the day to day image show?

The day to day struggle to continue along down a road, that at times appears to be invisible, is hard. For to travel upon the road less traveled, means to walk upon a road with fewer guide posts. This means that at times you will find yourself at at place for which there are no reference points.

With no signposts to lead the way, parents, peers, and your general knowledge of the world at times will fail you. Not because you have a poorly equipped field manual. Rather because you are merely in water beyond those which your world calls normal.

What do we do here? We continue on and learn. Why? Because it is in these moments that we gain the experience that will aid us when we push out past that next unknown.

1 comment:

Traveling Man Joe said...

Hi Joe:
Just read "Next" on your blog. A thoughtful piece. Wondering if you're OK right now on Okinawa selling new cars. You want to talk? Maybe I'm just over reacting. Thinking of you, and if you ever want to come back to stay in San Francisco to figure it out, there's the bed and shower downstairs. Love you.
Mike


Mike,
Thanks for the thoughtful email. I wrote Next after a high school friend of mine told me I was "living the dream." It was not the first time some had told me that.

The sense of alone that wrote about was not the bad kind. Its that sense of alone you get when you stand at the top of a tall mountain you just climbed alone.

My third and latest job here in Okinawa, selling cars new cars, has really worked out well. For the first time since I came back to Japan, I have found a company that treats its employees nicely. This job has also given me the chance to use the skills I have. On top of that my office looks out at the ocean and for the first time in my life I had the chance to watch the tide roll out over teh course of the day.

Thanks again for your concern and I hope you are doing well.

joe