Sep 8, 2009

2009 Adventure, Indonesian Jungle Trek

Of the 600 or so pictures I took during my trip, this one is my favorite.
......
On the morning of the 3rd day of my trek, I was walking along the river bank. By accident I came across this Indonesian man just as he was pulling this eel out of this river. My guide asked if I could take his picture. The man agree, quickly posed with his eel, and then continued walking down the river bank.
..............
Click on this picture to enlarge the image. Then take a closer look at where he was looking and size of his hands and feet.

Amusingly this type of ant, which was about half the length of my pinky finger, did not bite or sting.

Because salt is hard to find in the jungle, the bee's took to licking it off of me

This Monitor Lizard was about 6 feet long and lived very close to where we camped.

Can you see the frog?

Another frog

A millipede that was about 10 inches long.

My bathtub after a long day of hiking.

A male Orangutan.

A women harvesting rubber from a rubber tree.

*Theses pictures were taken in the Bukit Lawang Nature Reserve in Indonesia in March of 2009. This is one of the last natural habitats for Orangutans in the world. However during my trek from time to time I could hear the sound of chain saws coming from just outside the reserve.

2 comments:

Margaret Huevelman said...

You are amazing!!!
You are experiencing things VERY few of us will ever experience in a lifetime!!
I bow to your sense of adventure.
Am I too old to join you some day?
I love you more than you will ever know!
Aunt Margaret

Kelly Seely said...

i would love to hear about this trip
kelly