Mar 19, 2009

Experiencing Asia

It was a hot winters afternoon in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. My travel companion Pat had left that morning to return to the United States; leaving me alone in a beach town crawling with Cambodian women of questionable morals and drunken drugged Europeans intent on "Experiencing Asia" from the inside of cheap motels, bars, and the occasional air conditioned tour bus." Tired of this scene, I rented a motor scooter and quickly retreated to the countryside.

About twenty minutes into the ride, I came across a temple on a hill. Though I wanted lunch, I decided to take a moment to explore the temple. As I entered the temple, a monk seated on the floor invited me sit with him and share a Durian. Happy at the prospect of a free meal, I quickly sat down to enjoy the "king of the fruits". When we finished eating, much to my surprise the monk wanted to take a picture of me with his camera phone. Grinning, I told him that would be alright, only if I could take a picture of him too.

With a belly laden with Durian, I waved goodbye to the monk and continued my ride into the countryside. Growing weary of paved roads, I haphazardly turned onto a small unmarked dirt road.
................................
While bouncing down the road, passing small houses, crossing rickety bridges, and dodging chickens I began to hear a familiar word, "Hello." Curious to see who was greeting me, I stopped and there they were two children standing on a porch waving at me chirping, "Hello."
Smiling I waved back, said hello and knew 99% of the foreigners back in town would never "experience Asia" like this.

Cambodia

1 comment:

Patrick Gibson said...

That's so cool. I bet those kids got a kick out of being able to communicate with you in that simple way.