Jul 6, 2007

Uno firedog

On Wednesday the Coney Island hot dog eating contest lured me into ridding the train for an hour and a half to watch contestants gorge themselves on processed meat. After waiting in the crowd and jostling for a good spot for over an hour, the contest finally began. Revulsion quickly turned to amazement as Joey shoved whole hot dogs down, never stopping to chew. When the buns settled it looked like a tie with Joey and Takeru at 63 hot dogs each, but after the judges sifted through the fragments of bun and hot dogs on their plates Joey was declared the champion. If you are wondering what the calorie, salt, and fat content of 66 hot dogs adds up to just look bellow…No a little lower.

Proceeding my voyeuristic adventure my old roommate Bob found me and we ventured over to his picnic. There a number of snacks were consumed and pleasant conversation was exchanged. After many of the guests left a heated game of Uno was ended by the rain; forcing the partygoers back into their own worlds.

Returning to planet Harlem I watched fireworks fly between the buildings and the police’s ill fated attempts to quell the madness. But with work the next day I slipped off to bed early having enjoyed my first 4th of July in nearly three years.

No comments: